Wednesday, March 9, 2016

MMS MID-YEAR DEPARTURE REPLACEMENT GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND

Maplewood Middle School, which saw a popular math teacher leave mid-year for a post at Columbia High School, is doing everything to make her replacement, and her students, transition easier.

When sixth grade accelerated math teacher Julie Skrivanic left in late January, the school hired a replacement, who left after one day. Finally, last month, Ms. Pascale Bernard took over.

Parents received word that she would hold two meetings with them this week and do after-school tutoring.

See the word below and make her feel welcome.

Dear MMS Families,

Your child’s math teacher, Ms. Pascale Bernard, would like to host a “Meet & Greet” in her classroom for the next two Monday afternoons: March 7th and March 14th from 3:15pm-4pm.

Additionally, Ms. Bernard will be available for free tutoring after school on Wednesday’s and Thursday’s from 3:15pm-4:15pm for the entire month of March. Please remind your students that they can access support after school. See below for a welcome message from Ms. Bernard.

Together We Can,
Jerrill M. Adams, MS.Ed, M.A.
Principal
**************************************************************************************************
Dear Parents and Guardians,

I want to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Pascale Bernard and I am your child’s 6th grade Math Teacher for the remainder of 2015-2016 school year. I want to extend to you and your child my warmest welcome into my classroom. I know that transitioning at this time of the school year may not be ideal, but I am confident that our transition will be seamless. I am currently going into my eighth year of teaching. My math experience ranges from teaching Middle School Math to 11th grade Algebra 2 Honors. I have worked at Hobart and William Smith Colleges during the summer with high performing high school students as their Summer Math Teacher. I am also an alumni to the South Orange/Maplewood School district which excites me even more to work within this district.

My classroom features a variety of methods of instruction which include: 1) Whole-class discussions 2) Small group instruction 3) Student-centered group investigation 4) Partner work and lastly 5) One-on-one instruction. These classroom practices help address the varied learning styles found in the mathematics classroom. I believe that students learn and master mathematical skills best by completing tasks that require them to put their learned skills to use, and being able to communicate through discussion.

Collaboration, cooperation, and open communication between home and school are keys to building a strong foundation for a successful school year. Please feel free to contact me during school hours, 8:15am -3:15pm, Monday- Friday..

Thank you,
Ms. Bernard

No comments: