Friday, September 26, 2014

DPW DIRECTOR BURBANK STEPPING DOWN TO HELP SON

Maplewood Public Works Director Eric Burbank is leaving his post later this year to spend more time helping his son, Ryan, rehab from the tragic accident two years ago that put him in a wheelchair.

The story of Ryan Burbank, who slipped at the family pool in 2012, has captured the attention of locals as he bravely works his way back to good health.

Eric Burbank tells Maplewoodian.com, however, that he feels a need to devote more time to Ryan's progress and will likely step down before the end of 2014. The township is advertising for his replacement.

"I decided to go because I needed to spend more time rehabbing with my son, right now he is not getting any therapy," Burbank said via email. "I am probably going to take a couple of months off to build a gym in my house and get him in to a workout routine to see if he can make more progress. Once that is set-up I will join the workforce again, but for now my son has to be my number one priority. It has not been announced other than by advertising for my replacement."

Burbank has spent 27 years with the Township, including the past five years as public works director. 

Asked if he had sought an extended leave from the township, Burbank said he had not: "The position requires more time than I can give, and while I am sure they would do whatever they cold I just wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that I was not giving the job 100%. It's not fair to them, my coworkers, or the residents."

No comments: