Thursday, July 31, 2014

NEW JEFFERSON SCHOOL PRINCIPAL SAYS HELLO TO PARENTS

From incoming Jefferson School principal Kim Hutchinson:

Greetings Jefferson Parents and Families,

It is an honor to officially introduce myself as the new Principal of Jefferson Elementary School. My appointment was confirmed by the Board of Education on Monday, July 28, 2014. In my journey to this position, I interviewed in other districts but was most impressed with the rigor and integrity of the South Orange/Maplewood candidate selection process. I felt it was a strong reflection of the priority that this community places on the education of its children, and I am truly honored to have been selected as the Principal of Jefferson.

One of my initial goals is to ensure that the transition from the leadership of Mrs. Grierson to my own is as seamless as possible. I want for you and your children to experience familiarity and comfort during this time. I am very appreciative that Mrs. Grierson and Mrs. Swyberius are working with me this summer on identifying those tasks that will support a smooth opening of school in September.

Over the last several weeks, the involvement of parents at Jefferson has been consistently showcased as one of the school’s greatest strengths. In a building walkthrough that I went on with Mrs. Grierson she pointed out several contributions of the PTA that were representative of the strong partnership that has been established. I feel lucky to be entering a school community that has such a strong and supportive parent base.

Interacting with students, observing their learning process and witnessing their growth is the part of my work that I enjoy the most.  Therefore, I am very much looking forward to building relationships with the students at Jefferson. I have heard such wonderful things about the character of the student body. It is evident that students are enthusiastic learners from the photographs that I have seen, the samples of their work and the accounts from their teachers and administrators. I am anxious to see all of learning that will unfold over the course of this school year. I feel so fortunate to step into a position with such great students, quality educators and a supportive community.

I wish you and your family a wonderful end to your summer. I look forward to getting to know you and your children, and can’t wait for the first day of school! In the interim, I will not be at school every day but please feel free to contact me at khutchin@somsd.k12.nj.us.

Sincerely,
Kim Hutchinson Principal

No comments: