Monday, April 22, 2013

ONE LOCAL GIRL'S GREAT FOOD DRIVE - HELP HER OUT TONIGHT

Here is a great local way to help the less fortunate and a great example of one of our own doing more than her part.

If her letter below doesn't get you to help, nothing will. Start at tonight's games.


Dear Softball Families,
My name is Jordan.  I am in seventh grade and have been involved in MSO Softball for seven years.  Softball is a very important part of my life, and I am hoping to be able to combine my love of softball with an effort to help others.  For my charity project for my Bat Mitzvah, I am focusing on the Interfaith Food Pantry of the Oranges.  I will be volunteering at the food pantry, and I will be collecting non-perishable food items for donation.  I was hoping to include the softball community in this project. 
You may be surprised to learn that food insecurity affects at least 1 in 6 people in the United States and that number is even higher in Essex County where 1 in 4 people do not know where their next meal will come from. The last time I volunteered at the food pantry, we provided groceries for almost 100 families.  The food pantry receives no government funding and is supported by food donations, food drives, and monetary donations.  Since so many families are affected by hunger right in our backyards, I wanted to request that the MSO softball families help in my food collection effort.  If every player brings at least one non-perishable food item to each Monday night game, we will all be able to make a difference in many local people's lives!
Here is the plan:  At every Monday night softball game this season for the 4/5 girls (Memorial 1 and Maplecrest 1 & 2) and 6/7/8 girls (New Waterlands fields), I will leave a labeled bin behind the backstop of each field where there is a game for drop off of food donations ... I will update you on the amount of food we have collected periodically throughout the season.  I hope to conclude this project at the 2013 All Star game.  Thank you for helping me to make a difference in our community!   
Please contact me at jordansfooddrive@gmail.com if you have any questions or want to learn more about the food pantry.
Thanks,
Jordan 

No comments: