Tuesday, June 12, 2012

MAPLEWOOD ONLINE AND ME



When I launched Maplewoodian.com more than three years ago, I did it in an effort to provide local residents with some news that I believed was not being covered, as well as a place to offer my views and opinions.

I have never claimed to provide no opinion, but I have always done so with the highest regard for accuracy and journalism that I have learned in 24 years as a reporter.

In addition, I have found that posting links on Maplewood Online has helped get the word out to people. I have only posted items there in threads that were already started about a topic or about something that has not been posted elsewhere.

I believe Maplewood Online is a valid service for our community and have long praised Jamie and Dave for creating it long before any of our sites (Patch, the Local) ever came about. Jamie is truly the grandfather of Maplewood websites.

However, unfortunately, a group of people contend that MOL is not just a place for shared views but for personal attacks and unfair claims. I learned long ago that responding to such attacks is pointless, especially when many of them are hidden behind online identities and often stem from a lack of information or knowledge of how news works.

It is sad that this group has taken MOL and turned it into a place where differing views are met with scorn and personal attacks (and in my cases outright threats of violence against me).

This creates a tough task for Jamie to monitor and make sure the hateful comments do not ruin the site. But I give him credit for seeking to allow the site to police itself, which it often does. Still, many people in town avoid the site completely because of the overrun of abuse that often ruins many discussions.

I have also found that when I link to items on my site through MOL, there are hundreds of people who respond and most tell me they appreciate what I post.

I made the mistake recently of letting these hateful comments spark me to respond. Not good. But it did remind me that when I post links they serve a large group of people, even if they spark a small group to unleash their cowardly hate and anger.

In addition, many of these hateful attacks have included either inaccurate information or vague rumors, exactly the kind of thing that is dangerous on the Internet.

Also, let me make clear, I make no profit from my site and do it as a service, as well as a way for me to make sure certain issues get out there and, yes, my opinion.

Having said all of this, I will continue to post items to link to on MOL but will, as always, be diligent in not abusing the opportunity. I have also always provided space on my site for comments under each story.

Thanks for all support.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

WE NEED YOU.
THE ONLY REAL AND TRUE INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN MAPLEWOOD.
MAPLEWOODIANS--PLEASE SAY THANKS TO JOE SO HE KNOWS WE NEED HIS INFORMATION

Anonymous said...

As a former newspaper reporter and editor, I don't think that you needed to state that a local resident's death was a suicide because it was "newsworthy." I think there should be some judgment and consideration of others used in your "news."

Anonymous said...

you're an ass

Joe Strupp said...

Thanks for all honest views. Keep them coming! Some speak for themselves!

Joe Strupp said...

Thanks, I hear ya. What is your news background? would love to hear. You can email at joestrupp@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I think you should spend more time focusing in on government and school board issues rather than a crime blog.

Anonymous said...

I think Monster from MOL is from Mars.

Anonymous said...

Ooh the town drunk versus the village idiot!! For whom to root?!

Hank Zona said...

Joe...I will give you the respect to make my comments standing behind my name, not an anonymous tag..as I do on MOL. You want to provide a community service, but you have to remember, you live in a community...a relatively small and geographically tight community. Your reporting I think has a greater responsibility to take that into account. I think you were either unaware or disingenuous by posting the link on that thread that drew a direct line to the person and the unfortunate circumstances of his death..either way, to me, its not a good trait of a journalist, to be unaware or disingenuous. You can provide a good local service and be mindful that we are all for the most part in one relatively small community..just as people on MOL need to be mindful of that as well when they go on the warpath. Our lives here all intersect in any number of ways. Its why I encourage people to post under their real name, not behind some veil...be accountable, folks.

Tom Reingold said...

Joe, the comments are critical, not hateful. Some are nasty, which is unkind, but I don't see any hatred.

Tom Reingold

Unknown said...

Mr. Strupp, I have given you feedback here before (and with my real name, thanks), so here's some more: if you are getting a positive reaction from those with whom you interact in real life, why bother getting all bunched up over what a small and insular group of people are saying about you on MOL? Post your links there and be as big of an ass as you feel like it, but why not own it? Accept people's reaction to you instead of endlessly whining about it, perpetuating your victimhood. As for this site, if you are going for a blog, I suggest it be much more well-written and interesting. If it is supposed to be a news site, well, maybe you should put away the scanner.

Joe Strupp said...

Well said Hank. To be clear, I did have mixed thoughts when seeing the suicide victim's name had been identified by others. Still, with so many people interested and the police issuing its report, which still surprises me, I believed news took over. But, I agree, being mindful is important

Joe Strupp said...

I hear ya and have decided not to respond to attacks and let them go, but will take fair criticism. Your input is appreciated and taken:)

Anonymous said...

I love the scanner stuff and police report stuff joe. Keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

... Said the unicorn as he prepared the thorazine shot.