Sunday, January 1, 2012

MAYOR DUCKS MAPLEWOODIAN

We asked Mayor Victor De Luca for a short on-camera interview to coincide with his swearing in for a fourth year as mayor on Sunday. He declined.


Too busy? No, he said he did not consider this more than a blog, so not worth his time.


It did not matter to him that I have more news experience than anyone covering Maplewood at the moment (See my background and resume at www.joestrupp.com).

I am also accredited with the state with an official state press card, vehicle placard and two NJ DMV press plates.


He did offer to send us a copy of his inaugural remarks, along with all other news media.


Not sure what he is afraid of. When we spoke with him a few weeks ago on video, I did not think it was unfair. (See below)



Yes, in the past, I have given him a hard time, mostly on Maplewood Online (which I have since remained off of by choice). But he can take it as a tough-skinned leader. I also admitted being wrong about some issues for which he was criticized.


This comes a few months after the Police Department tried to drop us from its media list for weekly police blotter info. A situation that changed with a short, direct letter to the township attorney. Big thanks to the police for keeping us informed.


As for the mayor, whom I continue to support as an excellent and tireless worker for our town, it seems he only wants to speak to the news outlets that he wants to choose. If he changes his mind, the offer stands and he can comment on anything he wants.

No comments: